Iron_Kevin
Noble

71 posts
Minecraft: Iron_Kevin
Discord: Unknown
Partydragen: Iron_Kevin
By Iron_Kevin » over 2 years ago

How to protect your PlayerServer:

Griefing is a common thing on CubedCraft. People should just properly protect their servers to prevent other players from griefing their servers. Good protection/security is very important. Most people already know these points, but people who are new to creating a server probably do not. The other guide was deleted after 1 hour, so here is a new one. I don't know why I am making this guide while being banned, but ok. Just wanting to help some new server owners to not get their server griefed.

And yes, I've griefed servers by myself sometimes, and got griefed by myself a few times. This guide is based on that for a bit. I've spent some amount of time on this guide, and I hope the people who are new to creating a server find this guide helpful. 

1) Plugins/skripts.

I would highly recommend people to download CoreProtect against griefing. People can clear CoreProtect logs tho, but you can also rollback griefs with this plugin. And if the griefer didn't clear logs, you can take screenshots of those logs combined with screenshots of the impact of the grief, and report it to the CubedCraft staff team. Its also an option to code some anti-grief skripts but that will take some time. I would also encourage you to download anti-cheat plugins to prevent people from hacking on your server since hacking is a form of ruining the gameplay experience of other people on your server. People will for sure don't like it when there are a lot of hackers on your server. I won't say that anti-cheat plugins are the perfect solution since people who are using blacklisted modifications could also make bypasses for your server anti-cheat. So you will still need Moderators who need to enforce it. Install those plugins on the Dashboard at playerservers.com.

2) Worldguard regions.

Just worldguard your server. I've seen on some bedboxes/SMP's/other servers on CubedCraft that people are not using worldguard. The worldguard and worldedit plugins are already installed on playerservers after creating them. This will prevent people without permission to grief your server. It will make your life a lot easier.

How to create a region:

Select an area with the worldedit wand. Do /rg create regionname. After that, do /rg flag regionname pvp false as example. Its not that hard. 

3) Get a proper application process.

Don't give the entire community staff/op because they ask for it. Make an application form, I would prefer google forms. Add some good questions. And don't give everyone staff who applies. Only accept applications with effort put in, eventually hire in a staff manager who is experienced with dealing with applications. DarkyGamerUK is reviewing applications on my server (OneShot) since I personally don't like it to reject people, and he is experienced, so yeah. Before acceptance, check how active the player is on your server, and check if the player is acting helpful in chat. Also, consider his/her punishment history. I would also recommend you to check the behaviour of the player on other PlayerServers. Don't give an accepted player immediately admin/op/console, but give the player Helper/Trial-Mod/Chatmod/Trainee. And give the player a promotion if he/she has proven to be a good staff member. Make a staff guide for your staff members on your PlayerServer so your staff members won't give anyone a too harsh punishment. Make it clear that leaking the staff guide is a permanent blacklist from your server. Add a strike system so people who are giving people punishments that are not listed in the staff guide get a strike. 2/3 strikes should be a demotion.

Also, don't give people on your server staff who are known to grief servers/do malicious things. After my ban, if I was the owner of some PlayerServers, I would not have given my account (Iron_Kevin) staff on their server, purely because I've doxxed someone. I know that I will not grief servers on CubedCraft or dox people anymore, but trust in your staff members is very important. History of a player is very important. (This doesn't mean you still need to reject someone who griefed servers, doxxed, or have done any other malicious thing years ago. Just be concerned if it happened in the past 3-5 months)

Don't make your friends staff on your server. Never ever. Only after applying.

I've done this a few times in the past, but I would highly recommend against this. Your friends probably aren't really good at being staff on your server. And they could give other people OP who could grief your server. And they might not act as professional as you might want to expect from your staff members on your server.

4) Accept only people as Developer who are trustable.

Developer is a very dangerous role to give to people. As they have access to your server console, and could cause harm to your server when being abused. I've experienced this a few times in the past, from people who removed all plugins/skripts, to people who have copied my server and skripts. So yeah, only accept people who are trustable, and are proven to be really good at their job as Developer. 

Always check if a given skript by a player does have a backdoor. ''execute console command arg-1'' is an example of a red flag in a skript. A backdoor is basically a command hidden in a skript. It's a command to execute console commands so griefers could give themself op on your server, and grief it. 

5) Whitelisting.

SMP's and bedrockboxes are vulnerable to griefing. There is a huge part of the CubedCraft community who like them, and there is a huge part of the CubedCraft community who dislike them. If you just wanna chill with your friends on your no effort SMP, it's recommended to whitelist your server. Just do /whitelist on, and /whitelist add (usernames of the people you want to add), and you're done. It doesn't require any effort.

6) After a grief.

Those 5 tips don't help 100% against griefing of course. After a grief, I would recommend you to first get as much proof as possible. Go to the CubedCraft Discord server, post the proof on #support, and ping the mods (@Moderators) or DM one of the staff members (WhenUHackUNoob, Isaiyah, IDuckz_, PondWader, GellyZ, or Supercrafter100). I will post their discord tags under this section. After you've done that, you can rollback your server or load up a backup. And use the grief as a lesson for next time.

7) Discord tags of Cubed staff members so you can contact them after a grief.

WhenUHackUNoob#0001 @ Trial-Mod
Duck King#7082 @ Mod (Only DM's from friends enabled)
Isaiyah#4777 @ Mod
PondWader#4828 @ Sr.Mod
Supercrafter100#6600 @ Admin (Only DM's from friends enabled)
GellyZ#0425 @ Admin

Last edited: over 2 years ago

I'm permbanned. :(